
The stucco and stone preparation are now finished. If you look closely, you will see chicken wire wrapped around different parts of the house. Wherever you see it is where we are doing rockwork. It is around the garage, left window above the garage, and both bay windows to the left of the timbers.

The white styrofoam around the windows and doors are the stucco trim color. Usually people just darken or lighten the original stucco color by 100% or 200% so that it matches really closely, but Carson and I wanted a little more contrast then that, so we went with a completely different color of brown. (Yes, our house will be very masculine and tons of shades of browns and blacks!)

This side will be all stucco, except for the 1 foot wrap around the garage will be stone.

If you've ever wondered how they raise up the trim layer of stucco, now you know how! The styrofoam is what makes it a few inches raised from the rest of the stucco. They use the chicken wire to secure it in place.

All windows and door around back will be done with the stucco trim color.

This huge mound of dirt in our backyard will be one of our final projects. Carson wants to grade and level it out with a backhoe before the bad weather hits. Hopefully we will have time to do it!

All stucco around sides and back. Carson and I would like to do more rockwork, but for a first home, we are trying to reduce costs.

You will see some stone from this angle on the porch, bay windows, and garage side.

We had to schedule an inspection at this point before they could put up the stone and stucco. This was one of the few inspections that did NOT pass.... seems that our sub-contractor tried to cut some corners by using thinner chicken wire because it is cheaper.

I was grateful the inspector caught it and made them re-do it! I guess the problem is that the weight of the rocks won't hold, especially in a cold climate, on thin chicken wire. They ended up coming back and putting another layer on.

When I talked to the sub about it, he said that it depends on the inspector. Some are picky and prefer the thicker chicken wire, and others don't care, which sounds like our sub was looking for the easiest solution.... like I said, I'm GLAD the inspector made them re-do it!
No comments:
Post a Comment