Wednesday, January 21, 2009

20 WEEK ULTRASOUND

I've decided it takes a lot of guts to post pictures of yourself getting bigger each month, but I've had several requests to do so, so I am being brave and officially posting my first pregnancy pictures. Here I am at 20 weeks (January 9th) right before we headed to the ultrasound appointment.I've been hesitant to post these, which is why it has taken me a couple weeks, but I have come to terms with the pregnancy weight gain and realize it is a required and natural process for a healthy and beautiful baby. It's never fun to step on the scale and see an increase, but I do believe every pound is worth it to start a family. Each number up reminds me of the little budding babe inside of me getting healthier and stronger. Yeah for food and eating for two!So here's the update on the pregnancy so far:
1st trimester: Really not that bad! Sure I had the usual nausea most women get, and most food smelled or tasted weird, but I only lost my cookies probably a total of 12 times through the entire three months, which is really good from what I've heard! There were only a few days I actually stayed in bed most the day, but other than that, I was able to work on our house and meet with contractors still to finish things up. I feel so lucky that I didn't have any severe problems or sickness. Huge blessing! Food Cravings: I didn't really crave much, but grapefruit, cottage cheese, and sometimes a Whopper from Burger King always sounded digestable.
2nd Trimester: Well I am currently 22 weeks and feel GREAT! My doctor gave me the "green light" on all exercise, so after I got over the nausea stage, I got back into my usual routine of 5x a week. We have a Rec Center here with great aerobic classes that I've been enjoying. I do Water Aerobics and Yoga on Mondays and Fridays, Circuit Training and Pilates on Tuesdays, Spinning/Power Abs and Yoga on Wednesdays, and Pump'n'Flex on Thursdays. Food Cravings: Banana Breakfast shakes, toast, oranges, and hard-boiled eggs.
So we went to our ultrasound, and guess what the baby is.................. IT'S A MAYBE!!! Well the doctor thinks it's a girl, but she couldn't tell for sure. The imbilical cord was between the baby's legs for part of the ultrasound, so the picture above is the only shot she got that shows the likelihood of a girl... However, the baby was super active and the ultrasound was only 5 minutes long, so I left a little discouraged. I wanted to say to my doctor, "Spend two more minutes with us and find out for sure if it's a boy or girl! The baby's movin' like crazy in there!" But of course she was in a hurry and said we would have to wait until next month to be sure....

Here's a picture of the baby's face. The white spot is the eye and you can see the outline of the ear under that. I still feel like I'm trying to read a foreign language when I look at these ultrasound pictures, which is why I am hoping to get a 3D one done when I'm around 8 months... but they're not cheap so we will see..
This is supposed to be the two hands up by the baby's face, but I have a hard time seeing it clearly... The next ultrasound though will be with another doctor. I've decided to switch doctors because the current clinic I go to doesn't practice all the normal rules and cuts some corners... For example: I've never peed in a cup, I've never been measured, I've never had my uterus size checked, and I don't know if she even checked everything she was supposed to at this last ultrasound with how short it was. We are also driving 1 1/2 hours one way to my doctor visits, and there are some new doctors that joined our insurance network this year that are only 15 minutes away, which will make things much easier..(Especially when I go into labor!)

So here's to a "MAYBE" baby! We haven't really celebrated yet because we still don't know for sure, so hopefully in the next couple weeks we will know! I've thought it was a girl for a while now, but it's hard to pick colors or buy clothes until you have the official sex decided. My doctor did say the baby was 1 lb 11oz, which I guess is a pretty nice size at 20 weeks, which means I probably need to slow down the eating! YIKES! Let's hope I don't have a 10 lb 12 oz baby like my mother did with me!

21 comments:

Kelda said...

How exciting! You look beautiful!! Keep the prego pics coming! That's too bad about the gender. Hopefully next month. And I'm with you, I can not read those ultrasounds! Good luck with everything!

Carmen said...

Weight gain is so healthy, no worries!

Hey, the good news is that it looks like half of any weight gain in those pictures is in your bra. (Man I can't believe I'm saying that on a public comment...so not me, but I would totally say that to you in person...)

Anonymous said...

Okay, you don't even look pregnant yet so don't stress about posting pictures. And good call with switching doctors; the old place sounds lousy!

the larsons said...

CoNgRaTs!!! You look gorgeous as always!! Keep posting the pics:)

Cammie said...

Great job on switching doctors! You'll have to let me know how the new one is. Great job on growing a health maybe!

Annie said...

You're so skinny still! That's frustrating you only got a maybe. You wait so long for that 20 week appointment in the first place! Well, I'll be excited to find out for sure what you're having!

Kelsey Booth said...

You look amazing! I can't believe you are still exercising so much. Being pregnant was my favorite excuse for doing and eating whatever I wanted :) Congrats on a baby Maybe!

Bethany Gilson said...

You look great! Do you have any names picked out for a girl (if you maybe baby is a girl)
My friend at work had a contest to name his baby. He got some great ideas and actually picked one the entries! The winner got a gift card. It was hilarious!

Ham, Dan and Kaylie said...

Wow, wow, wow!! You look awesome! Are you sure you're pregnant??? I'm pretty sure you don't even have a belly, and you're half way there!!! Good idea on switching doctors...sounds like the other one didn't even do anything! I also love love love your hair. You pull off short hair so well!! Hope you guys are doing good. We miss ya!!

Amber said...

You are a beautiful pregnant woman! And all the working out is amazing! And I'm sorry about the ultrasound...soooo frustrating! You will find out soon though, I can't wait to hear what you are having. Love you!

Young Family Adventures said...

Nykell - you look awesome!! I am so excited for you both even if she turns out to be a he... our 1st, (Garrett) was a girl until 3 weeks before he was born!! (So we got to save all of our gifts for Madison... who finally came along 7.5 years later!!) Love your blog! It is fun to read & the house is looking great!! Visit with you soon!

Sara and Dustin said...

Hello my long lost friend! Angela mentioned you in her blog today and I was to excited to hear you're pregnant!! My little family and I are living in the Caribbean for the next while. We have a blog but it's private for now. I'm happy to send you an invite - just send me your email address! dustin dot sara at gmail dot com

cbfenn_05 said...

hey Nyk, Congrats!! Also, I had one of those 3D ultrasounds, and they are not all they are cracked up to be!!

Jonny, Mel, Aaron said...

I had no idea you were pregnant Nikki! You look great--seriously, you don't even look pregnant. How wonderful to have a baby soon to come. I hope you are feeling well. Isn't the second trimester great!

Clint & Hailey said...

Hey Nykki! Congrats on the baby! You seriously look awesome for being half way there! I just found your blog and thought i'd say hi! You look as happy as can be :)

Dawn said...

It's been while! How is everything in Wyoming?

Carmen said...

Nykelle...I would like an update please. Miss you.

Ham, Dan and Kaylie said...

Hey girl I don't know if you still check/use your blog, but what town is your shower in?? The invite has an address but no town? Anyway, we're actually having one that night for my sister, so depending on where yours is and the timing of both, I'll try to stop by for a few so I can see you and get you your gift!!!

Jenny Webster said...

Nykelle! My long lost neighbor! You're having a baby! I'm so excited for you, I miss our talks etc...Looks like you guys are doing great in wyoming, so happy for you! You need to post some more pic's i bet you're so cute prego! Do you know what you're having? Well we need to catch up. So glad to find your blog. I'm just starting to do one again we'll see how well I keep up! Love ya!

Ashley said...

I am bigger at 10 weeks than you were at 20!

Diana said...

That's you at 20 weeks?? You're TINY!! Adorable family Nykelle. So happy to be part of your HM team (under Kim Sirmans)!