Thursday, January 15, 2009

Family "Work & Play" Visit

Although there wasn't much "play" involved, we were sure grateful for the help of family on this project! Carson's sister Melissa, her husband Devin, and there little boy Parker all came up to see the new home and help us out. We even warned them we'd be doing a lot of work on the house, and they said that was great and they were happy to help! Wow! Work really can be play when you are with family. We found a black walnut hardwood floor online that was a really good deal and ordered that for the piano room. Carson and Devin went hard to work on getting it all done in one day!Carson would measure and cut the wood while Devin would lay down the glue and secure the pieces in place. Because we were using glue to lay it down, (which we wouldn't do next time... renting a nail gun would be a lot faster and easier) I wasn't supposed to be around the fumes because they could be harmful if your pregnant, so I enjoyed Melissa's company and ran food orders when needed. This picture represents a funny story dealing with my pregnancy and the glue. Melissa and Devin didn't know I was pregnant yet because we hadn't announced to families, so it was a real trick trying hard to not let the nausea show. At one point the glue fumes and food smells combined were really getting to me, and we didn't have plumbing installed yet, so the next best thing I could think of was lay down behind some closet doors in one of the rooms so nobody could see me and breathe slow. I laid down behind these closet doors, and Devin came and opened the door looking for Melissa who was feeding Parker. I was hoping he wouldn't see me through the crack, but he did, and asked Melissa in the next room if I was ok. SHOOT! My cover had been blown! Atleast I thought it had.. I told them I was just really tired and left it at that. Well the good news is it worked because they were surprised when we finally announced the pregnancy! Devin was the key in getting this project done. He worked like a slave horse all day and stopped for only a few minutes for a small bite to eat and then it was right back to work. Devin, we will always keep this floor dedicated to you and your services. Thank you!
Because we used glue, we put heavy buckets and anything else we could find on top of the floor to keep the pieces from bubbling up as they dried. This was a simple project I could do that didn't involve my face close to the glue fumes... It worked! After the hardwood floor was done, it was on to the next project outside... and NOT a fun one. We had a counter scrap leftover from the kitchen we sold that wasn't wanted and decided to tear off the granite tile squares and use them around our fireplace... little did we know how hard it would be! Trying to rip off the granite tile from the cement adhesive took a lot of time, but after using several different tools and lots of strength, they came off one by one. We then chizzled the leftover cement off each piece until it shined like new.... Once again, Carson and Devin used their "manliness" to get this job done-- and with Carson's perfectionist "clean freak" personality, they scrubbed these suckers until there was literally no speck of cement left. (I can say that because he never reads this blog... don't worry I am so grateful for that quality in a husband.) VOILA! The tile is perfectly cleaned and ready to be cut and installed around the fireplace! Melissa is laughing in this picture because Carson was doing his manly grunt for a job well done. Because there was so much work to be done, there was little time left to play before they had to head home. We managed to squeeze in a good gourmet-chinese take-out dinner and play with baby Parker. Here's Melissa with her new pride and joy.

We also spent some time with the dog, although it had to be behind closed doors so she wouldn't eat the baby.
Carson had a turn too enjoying the babe, and probably secretly pondering what it was going to be like for us to have one of our own. Thanks again so much Melissa and Devin for helping us out! You saved us several extra hours of work and helped us get moved in faster! We love you!

No comments: