As some of you know, the housing prices up here in our neck of the woods is ridiculously inlfated. A 1500 square foot decent new home is $300,000! Can you believe it?! Yes it's true... quite ridiculous. It's because of the gas, oil, and coal that is still booming up here. They can't build housing fast enough, so they think they can charge an arm and a leg because of the boom. Because of this, we decided to build our own home in a neighboring city. We are generaling it ourselves, which will save us quite a bit of money. If we do things the right way, we could save up to 100,000 on the same size home! We are currently living in a town home that we bought for now until it is finished, and then we plan to rent it after we move into our new home! Here are some pics from our Parade of Home visits and some things we want to do in our home, or that were just plain cool! Hope you enjoy! And for any of you that have owner builder experience, or have a knack for interior ideas, tips are GREATLY appreciated! Any suggestions will greatly help us out!

This picture's for you mom and dad! I knew you would love this unique bathroom sink! It would be perfect in your cabin!

Good idea for storage in a craft room.

Marble countertops! Oh so beautiful for a master bath!

These are the tile and carpet samples we currently have. We are thinking of doing the dark brown "metallic" one in the entry way and kitchen. We will then do a cheap fake travertine (the bottom two on the left) tile everywhere else. We are thinking of doing the color of carpet in the top left corner.

Great idea for keeping your wrapping supplies organized.

Another good way to keep ribbons and wrappings easy and neat.

Most beautiful hardwood floor we've ever seen!

Yes this is a mirror, and yes, you are reading the credits at the end of a movie ON THE MIRROR! Isn't that crazy? They have a movie playing inside the mirror! You can watch it as you get ready! A little extreme, but hey if you've got the money...... We won't ever do this.
We liked the pattern of this outside stamped concrete pathway.

This is probably closer to the wall colors we want. We are doing heavy hand texture and glaze over the paint so it has the variations like this wall.

I liked the dark color of these cabinets.

Beautiful! Don't know how they made them that color?

LOVED this quote! It was in the mudroom on your way out of one of the homes.

Pretty Nifty! A special drawer under your sink for your hair stuff!

We will probably do carpet similar to this to keep the maintenance easier.

I LOVED this piano room! It was to the right as you enter the house and it was vaulted all the way up to the roof! Can you imagine the acoustics as you play?! It would sound incredible! You could hold a recital in your house and just have people listen upstairs!

An interesting idea... a built-in printer shelf right in your office wall!

I thought this was a fun way to do a mirror in your master room! Love the shutters!

Beautiful door color.

This will be similar to our family room entertainment wall. We will have a fireplace with a flatscreen above it, and then Carson will do some built-in-shelves like this picture shows.

Not a big fan of pebble rock, but I thought this was fun for the floor of a shower.

Nope, it's not glass doors you are seeing, it's mirrors! I thought that was a great idea to put mirrors on the back of your closet doors. It makes the room look twice as big and nice for getting dressed!
A ROUND crib! Have you ever seen one of these before? We hadn't! Pretty creative!

We wanted to do all knotty alder trim and doors, but that gets pretty pricey, and we want this to house to be budget friendly... so we have decided we will do a stained trim and a painted door as shown above! We saw it in a couple of Parade homes and it looked just fine and can drop the cost quite a bit!

We want to do this crown molding in the master bedroom and piano room. We were also told that rope lighting is a really cheap and easy way to accent it. You can kind of see it here.

Don't like the wood or countertops in this pic, but love the idea of two-tone!

Another beautiful home with the right exterior colors for us. We are both brown lovers.

Loved the wood stain and counter tops here for master bath.

How do they make the door so shiny and glossy? It looks absolutely stunning in person!
Brown metallic tile.

This picture doesn't do it justice because it came out really dark, but Carson and I both LOVE the colors on this house. We want to do dark browns on the outside. We think it's beautiful. It looks a lot lighter in the daylight.

We also really like the exterior colors on this home.

We both LOVE these colors... the darker the wood, the richer and more beautiful in our opinion. We also love the color of the glazed walls because it helps to lighten it up, but it still has a lot of variety and texture in the color. This is the wood and wall colors we want to do in our home.
We like the square railing like this the best.
6 comments:
Where was the home show you went to? Daniel talked to Jeff this morning and it sounds like they are digging the hole for your house! How exciting!! Be sure to keep us updated on the progress.
What a great way to remember home show ideas. I'd never have thought to take a picture! (Guess it's 'cause I never had myu own camera until recently.) When I saw an idea I wanted to remember, I'd write it down and draw a picture of it. I like your idea better! Can't wait to see the finished project! Thanks for sharing your dreams with me! Love you too!
p.s. like the sink but there's no place to put your toothbrush or soap or makeup. love the base!
I really like the carpet you're thinking about putting in your house because it looks just like the carpet we put in our house before we moved! Sounds like you're having fun!
It all looks beautiful! I miss going to the Parade of Homes - maybe next year. I loved that circular staircase and the colors of it as well!
So gorgeous. What hard decisions to make :) I really like brown too, but Darren doesn't, and it makes me sad. I LOVE the Tuscan-style "Italian villa" look in some of these pictures. I can't wait to see pictures of your new home!
Post a Comment