Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Half Marathon #2 Completed!

So you may remember back in July that I posted I was training for another half marathon. By blogging about it, I definitely felt pressure and accountability. I also posted some of my training, but then forgot to keep track, although I was continuing to train. I had to take a few days off each week due to an injured knee. Several of my family members, including my husband, felt it was not wise for me to run the half marathon with the condition of my knee, but I just couldn't stop something I had already committed to. If I set a goal, I have to accomplish it... I can't flake out and not see the end reward. Once I commit to something, I am 100% committed and there is no going back, no matter the pain or tears along the way... I have to see progress and accomplishment in my life or else I go INSANE! So against their loving advice, I ran the Half Marathon on Saturday, August 24th. I took plenty of Glucosamine, rested well the week of, and bought a knee brace to help support. Here are some pics Carson took towards the finish line.
If you look on the ramp, you will see a little pink blog. That's me!
Thirteen miles were completed by this point. Only .1 left to go!Only a husband would think to take a picture of your rear as your running... oh how I hate this shot. At least you can see the orange cone marking the finish line. They gave me a cool gold medal when I crossed the finish line. I wish I could say I had a gold medal time, but I didn't. However, I finished about 30 seconds per mile faster than my first half marathon. I am still slow, but that was huge improvement for me. My knee was killing by the end, but I soaked it in an ice cold bath for 45 minutes after and stayed off it for several days, which helped. I also promised to go see a doctor before I do another race. All in all, it was another fabulous experience and I can't wait to do another one!

10 comments:

A.J. and Ashley said...

Nykki! That is so awesome. Your determination amazes me. I wish I could say I ran a half-marathon. Good job, and congrats on how far your house is coming. How exciting!

Anonymous said...

Way to go!!

Anonymous said...

You are crazy! But congratulations!

Cammie said...

Great job! I'm still wondering how to get past the 5 mile mark without quitting. I would love to run with you sometime!

Annie said...

Awesome Nykelle! Way to push through the pain! Great job!

kenna said...

Congrats! I admire anyone who can run more than a mile. (I run out to the mailbox and find myself winded)

Sarah said...

Congrats on finishing even with your hurt knee! That shows total determination. Awesome job!

Amanda said...

Good Work Nykki! Running is a love/hate relationship for me. I LOVE to run, but ONLY if I have someone else to run with me. Otherwise, I can't stand it! I get so bored! I would really like to do a half marathon someday though! That's awesome!

Unknown said...

Way to go girl! Be proud of that butt shot! I hope I can get back into that kind of shape again!
Love the dirt pictures on the other post. Can't wait to see the finished product! Love you guys!

Ham, Dan and Kaylie said...

Wow way to go!! Your'e awesome! Have you guys moved into your new house yet??? Daniel and I were talking about that the other night and wondering if you're in yet?